Sunday, May 13, 2007

Why I love my mom

Most folks on Mother's Day talk about how wonderful and perfect their mothers were -- but I'll spare you that.

My mom is a terrific mom, but that's not why I'm writing this. A clean house, great figure, and fresh baked bread don't matter much to a little kid. This little kid, yours truly, appreciated the band-aids on scraped knees, her time teaching me to make chocolate chip cookies and snuggling on her lap when it was cold. I miss that comfortable and secure feeling knowing that mom was there, and everything would be okay.

Not only that -- my mom never gave up, even when things went wrong or crazy (even in the rare case when the wrong or crazy was her fault). Having that example is priceless for a kid surrounded by people giving up when things got hard. At every crossroads in her life she had a choice, whether to do the easy things, or the right things -- but she knew what was right and she did it.

You do what your parents did unless you consciously decide to do differently. I'm so grateful for a good set of "defaults".

I love you, Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

Thanks for the kind words... but couldn't you have pretended that I could make bread, keep a clean house, and look like a model...j.k. You and I would both know the truch

You are a son that I can be proud of and if I can take any of the credit, I'm glad to do so.

Love,
Mom

Does anyone read this thing?

views since Feb. 9, 2008