Thursday, August 21, 2008

Diving

So after watching a total of probably one hour of diving since the Olympics started this year, I can honestly say I still have no clue what the judges are scoring on. Every single dive looks perfect to me.

So the girl jumps, spins around like 10 times, then straightens up perfectly just in time to stab straight into the water like an arrow.

My first reaction is to cheer -- and hey, everybody else is cheering. How in the world do you get the timing right on something like that?! Amazing! But I resist, because I know I'm going to feel like an idiot when the lady announcer comes on and says, "Oh, she's going to be very disappointed with that dive."

Huh?

They need to have some sort of computer graphic that shows me how far twisted they on entry in degrees, how far apart their feet were and the pointing angle of their toes, and the volume of water that went up in the splash. "Oh, 0.5 degrees, 1/2 inch, 172 degrees, and 2.5 gallons? Not bad..." That's something an engineer/analyst can sink his teeth into!

I'm just going to start scoring them myself, and awarding gold medal flour cookies to the winners:
newscoring.png

Hang in there, Guo, you still have a shot at the top cookie! Put a little more into the hair angle, lose the mysterious water, and you'll have it!

1 comment:

Tori said...

So I found your blog a couple weeks ago by surfing through other family members' blogs and have since just lurked and laughed at your posts. But this one is hilarious! You make me laugh.

Does anyone read this thing?

views since Feb. 9, 2008