So I played with it for a few minutes. I thought it'd be tolerable, but after a few minutes with it, I have to agree it's a sanity bender.
It looks like a few folks smarter than me have figured out how to make it work, so here's the updated process that seems to get the fonts right. I also try to help out those whose first install didn't work so well:
- Download Darwine (direct link). Darwine (homepage) is a project that tries to mimic the Windows OS for a Windows .exe program. It doesn't work terribly well for most stuff, but it does seem to work for PAF.
(Different from my last instructions: this is a newer version of Darwine than the one you installed last time; if you installed it before, just quit Darwine if it's running and drag the Darwine folder out of your applications folder to the trash before continuing.)
- Install Darwine. Just like every other Mac app out there, double-click the .dmg file, open up the disk image that mounts, and drag the Darwine folder into your Applications folder
- Download PAF installer. This is a Windows application that installs the PAF5 application.
(Different from my last instructions: this is the "all languages" version, which contains a unicode font that you need.)
- Install PAF. Open up the Darwine folder (/Applications/Darwine), and drag the PAF5 Setup .exe file you just downloaded onto the WineHelper.app.
If you previously installed PAF using my earlier instructions, run this program once and click "Remove" when it asks you what you want to do. This will remove the app from the first time around. Then, you should run the PAF installer again, and continue from here.
Select "English" for the language, then when it asks which "components" to install, select "English" and the "International Unicode Font".
When the IntallShield asks you where to put PAF, press the "Browse" button, and browse to "Z:\Applications", then change it to read "Z:\Applications\PAF5.2". Don't worry if the PAF5.2 folder doesn't exist, the installer will create it.
Continue with installation. Also, don't worry if it complains about not being able to find WordPad or NotePad.
- Run. To run PAF, go to /Applications/PAF5.2, and drag PAF5.exe to /Applications/Darwine/WineHelper.app.
I should mention that PAF's future isn't entirely certain. They may be building a web-based PAF, but that's not clear from the vague statements posted to wikipedia and here. If you have money $99 lying around, you might do better to go with Reunion 9 which does more, and which gets tremendous reviews.